Use the following steps to customize your computer/laptop for NWTC coursework:
Set Up NWTC Favorites/Bookmarks
- Go to your browser's Settings and activate the Bookmark/Favorites Bar
- In Edge – Go to Settings, Appearance, Customize Toolbar, Show Favorites Bar, Always. To add a site to favorites, click the "Add this page to favorites" button in the address bar.
- In Chrome – Go to Settings, Appearance, Show Bookmarks, turn button on. To add sites to bookmarks, click the star on the right side in the address bar.
- Add the NWTC Student Login page and any other frequently used college resources such as Canvas, the Student Portal, Student Email, the Virtual Desktop, Web Print, and NWTC Library to the Bookmark/Favorites Bar for quick, easy access.
Secure Your Account
- Make sure that you have set up Multi-Factor Authentication for your account. This allows NWTC to verify your identity periodically when you are logging in to Canvas, the Student Portal, Microsoft 365, and Student Email. (Watch our short student portal login and secure video).
Install Microsoft 365
- If you need the latest version of Microsoft 365, you can download it from the College for free by following these steps. This includes access to Microsoft Teams for web conferencing! Make sure to uninstall any previous versions of Microsoft Office first.
- Add https://www.microsoft365.com/ to your bookmarks/favorites for easy access or access from your start menu.
Check Your Audio and Video Accessories
- If you will be web conferencing in your courses, make sure that you have a headset with a microphone.
- Also check that you have a working web camera. Type "camera" in the search box to open the Camera app.
- After installing Microsoft Office, open Teams to test the equipment by starting a test call. In the search bar at the top of Teams, just type in /testcall. This will allow you to check to see how the video looks and will give you an option to talk and hear how your audio would sound to others.
Connect to Your OneDrive
- Follow these instructions to add your NWTC OneDrive to your computer for 24/7 access to your documents to File Explorer.