Students are charged overdue fines for items that are returned or renewed after their due date.
If items are kept for a long time, students are charged for the cost of replacing each item (but the replacement fees may be reduced to overdue fines if the items are returned within a reasonable time period).
Grades will be withheld if items are not returned and fines are not paid.
- Most items are just $.05 per day overdue.
- However, some items have special overdue rates:
- $.25 per day for 1-week checkouts and 2-week reserve checkouts
- $.50 per day per piece for 2-week equipment checkouts
- $.50 per hour per piece for In Library equipment checkouts
- $1.00 per day per piece for overnight equipment checkouts
- $1.00 per hour for In Library textbook checkouts
- $2.50 per day per piece for 1-week equipment checkouts
Long Overdue Items
- The full replacement cost of the item is charged after it has been overdue too long.
- If the item is returned within a reasonable time period, the replacement cost can be forgiven and an overdue fine (calculated since the original due date) can be added to the student's account.
Overdue notices are sent via email or U.S. mail after the due date. Once materials have been returned and the fines have been assessed, students will see the total due on their Library account or eventually on their NWTC account (viewable at my.nwtc). Students can pay for fines at the Welcome Center or online through my.nwtc.
The Library Manager is able to waive some fines for extenuating circumstances, but the minimum fee for instances of lost materials is $25.00.