Are there counselors available at NWTC?
Yes, NWTC has professional counselors. Counseling is available to students who are enrolled in at least three credits or pursuing a GED credential. NWTC Counseling Services is free and confidential.
Location: SC231 (Services also available in Marinette and Sturgeon Bay and RLCs.)
Phone number: 920-498-5444
When Should You See a Counselor?
- If you feel like your academic progress is slipping and you need some help.
- If you feel overwhelmed and it is difficult to stay focused on your academics.
- If you are considering a program or career change.
- If you are in need of the services provided by Accomodation Services.
- When you feel like you need support in coping with a personal problem.
How Counseling Services Can Help
Counseling Services provides confidential, one-on-one meetings for students who are currently enrolled in at least three credits at NWTC or pursuing a GED Credential.
- Sessions are typically scheduled weekly, until the issue is resolved.
- There is no limit to the number of sessions a student can schedule; however, if progress is not being made, a referral may be suggested to a more specialized provider in the community.
- Ongoing counseling is scheduled at a time that is convenient for the student, with both day and evening hours available.
- There is no cost to the student and it is confidential.
- All counselors at NWTC have many years of experience counseling. Most are licensed by the State of Wisconsin as professional counselors (LPC) and hold either a master's or a doctorate degree. Counselors are knowledgeable about academic advising at NWTC and can help integrate these concerns with personal counseling.
What are the issues that are Common to Students?
- Mood Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Test Anxiety
- Attention Concerns
- Motivation Issues
- Post-traumatic Stress
- Relationship Difficulties
- Parenting Concerns
- Career Indecision
- Conflict Management