I have to cite an article in APA format but I can't find any page numbers. What do I do?
For the References page, you can follow the general format for citing journal articles, just leaving out the page numbers.
For the in-text (parenthetical) citation, the official APA rule is to include a paragraph number. This usually means you will need to count paragraphs down from the beginning of the article.
Here are your options:
"... you can include any of the following in the text to cite the quotation" (APA Manual)
- A paragraph number, if provided; alternatively, you could count paragraphs down from the beginning of the document.
- An overarching heading plus a paragraph number within that section.
- A short title in quotation marks, in cases in which the heading is too unwieldy to cite in full.
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, para. 4)
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, "Stalking," para. 3)
- (Basu & Jones, 2007, "Cyberspace Sociality – Space and Community")