Why is there a hold on my student account from the Library?
The most likely reason is an unpaid fine for material that is overdue (i.e. not returned to the Library by the due date).
Students receive fines and fees for items returned after the due date. Grades will also be withheld if items are not returned and fines are not paid.
Overdue Fines -
- $.25 per day for videos/reserves/USB drives/microphones
- $.05 per day for books/magazines
- $10.00 per day for certain computer equipment
Long Overdue Items -
- The full replacement cost of the item is charged.
- If the item is returned within a reasonable time period, half of the replacement cost will be forgiven.
- The other half of the fee serves as the overdue fine.
Overdue notices are sent via email or U.S. mail after the due date. Once materials have been returned and fines have been assessed, students will see the total due on their NWTC account (viewable at my.nwtc). Students can pay for fines at the Welcome Center or online through my.nwtc.
The Library Manager is able to waive some fines for extenuating circumstances, but the minimum fee for instances of lost materials is $25.00.